When it comes to cancer treatment, chemotherapy is one of the first options that comes to mind. However, it’s essential to consider that other options are also available besides chemo. In breast cancer treatment, one option that is mostly recognized is the Exemestane tablet.
Although Exemestane is linked to chemotherapy due to its role in cancer treatment, Exemestane is not a chemotherapy drug. Exemestane is an anti-cancer hormonal therapy drug used to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Some breast cancer increases by a natural hormone called Estrogen. Exemestane decreases the amount of estrogen made in the body which in turn slows down or reverses the growth of breast cancer. It is approved for the treatment of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer in postmenopausal women. It belongs to a class of drugs named aromatase inhibitors. They work by blocking the action of the aromatase enzyme, which converts androgens to estrogens. Exemestane comes in a dose of 25mg. Exemestane 25mg Price is also pocket friendly.
How is it used?
· Primarily prescribed for post-menopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. By inhibiting the production of estrogen, Exemestane reduces the growth of breast cancers.
· It is usually prescribed after 2-3 years of tamoxifen treatment which is used to prevent cancer treatment.
· It can also be used for postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer.
· It is not advisable for women of childbearing age.
How is it different from chemotherapy?
Although Exemestane is an important component of breast cancer treatment, it is necessary to differentiate it from chemotherapy. It encompasses many drugs to kill fast-growing cells in your body working by attacking cell growth or division. It can cause various side effects as well. In contrast, Exemestane works by inhibiting the production of estrogen affecting the hormone-sensitive breast cancer cells. The side effects associated with Exemestane are milder than those associated with chemotherapy.
What is the dosage?
· Take Exemestane 25mg tablet once daily after food or as directed by the doctor.
· Share your medical history with the professional because the dosage is prescribed based on your medical condition.
· Dosage will also be prescribed based on your response to the treatment, and all the other medications you might be taking that may interact with the drug.
· If you miss a dose of Exemestane tablets, consult your doctor. Don’t double up on the next dose unless your doctor recommends it.
· An overdose of Exemestane tablets can cause severe side effects. These may include chest pain and fainting. Kindly contact your nearest doctor immediately.
· Pregnant women should not touch this medicine as this drug can be absorbed through the skin or lungs.
What are the common side effects?
Some side effects associated with Exemestane 25mg Tablets are as follows. So contact your healthcare provider if you have any such concerns.
So contact your healthcare provider if you have any such concerns.
To sum up, Exemestane is a potential hormonal therapy drug that works as an aromatase inhibitor for the treatment of breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Also, it is not a chemotherapy drug rather it works by blocking the production of estrogen enzyme which fuels the growth of breast cancer.